Minutes Of GSC Meetings

2010 meeting of the Graduate Students Committee

MEMORANDUM FOR RECORD

TO: PSi President and Board Members
FROM: PSi Graduate Students Committee. Co-Chairs: Melissa Wansin Wong, Laura Cull
DATE: 1 August 2010
SUBJECT: Potential Proposals, feedback and ideas generated from the Graduate Students Committee Meeting on the 12th of June during PSi#16, at OCAD, Toronto.

The meeting was held on the 12th June 2009 in OCAD, Toronto, Canada. There were a total of 12 participants including the Co-Chairs. Participants included: Laura Cull/Northumbria University, Melissa Wansin Wong/Graduate Center, CUNY, Lauren M. Rhodes/University of Washington, Michelle Liu Carriger/Brown University, Adair Routhwaite/University of Minnesota,Barnaby King/Northwestern University, Matthew Sandoval/ UCLA, Ryan Hartigan/Brown University, Melissa Guppert/University of Minnesota, Charlotte McIvor/UC Berkeley, Ashley Ferro-Murray/UC Berkeley, Shane Boyle/UC Berkeley

The Co-Chairs announced various initiatives and potential projects discussed at the PSi Committee’s annual AGM:

- Laura Cull updated on her findings on the possibility of virtual conferencing at future conferences.
- Routledge Prize
- PSi#17 at the University of Utrecht, Netherlands.
- Discussion of potential PSi conferences beyond PSi#17. Including the University of Leeds and Hemispheric Institute collaborations.
- Beginning initiative of the PSi Committee for a “greener” organization.
- The Regional Research Clusters Project headed by Peter Ekelsell.
- The PSi archival project initiated by Tracy Davis. Graduate Students encouraged to take part in the oral archive project to start next year at PSi#17.

The Co-chairs updated the members on the years’ events/projects:

- Successful organization of joint Lunch Time Professionalization sessions with the Emerging Scholars Committee. The Graduate Students Committee organized the panel “Traversing the job Market”, about 70 people attended.
- The Graduate Students Cabaret, organized by Michelle Carriger, was to take place the next evening. (The event had a almost full house and was well received).
- The graduate students social event followed the cabaret, at Molly’s Irish Pub in downtown Toronto.

Issues/Potential Projects brought up by participants include:

- The possibility of setting up a closer working/networking relationship between PSi and the Performance Studies Working Group (PSFG at ATHE), as well as the Graduate Student Caucus at ASTR.
- A mentorship program that links graduate students with similar research interests to senior scholars outside of their institutions.
- To find the best route of communitcation between the committee and its members. Through the emailing list, and updating and linking the Graduate Student’s Wiki/facebook page with the pages of other organizations. Including ATHE, ASTR, TAPRA, IFTR and other related organizations.
- To continue the Lunch Time Professionalization Panels/Workshops, with different themes.

To Do/Follow up:

- Co-chairs to up-date the facebook group and to link it up to other existing graduate students facebook groups.
- Co-chairs to get in touch with ASTR’s Graduate Student Caucus’s President, Charlotte McIvor, to discuss potential networking opportunities.
- Co-chairs to confirm graduate student housing options for PSi#17 at Utrect.
- Co-chairs to converse with Tracy Davis about starting the oral history archive project.
- Conversing with the Emerging scholars committee on next professionalization sessions. Potential session topics: Panel on journal publication, Panel on jobs outside Academia.
- Ryan Hartigan volunteered to develop connections between the committee and committees in Australia, and other international organizations.
- Laura M. Rhodes offered to link the committee to anthropology departments in the USA.
- Adair Routhwaite offered to look into developing a mentorship program at PSi.

2009 meeting of the Graduate Students Committee

MEMORANDUM FOR RECORD

TO: PSi President and Board Members
FROM: PSi Graduate Students Committee. Co-Chairs: Laura Cull, Melissa Wansin Wong
DATE: 30 September 2009
SUBJECT: Potential Proposals, feedback and ideas generated from the Graduate Students Committee Meeting on the 28th June during PSi#16, at the University of Zagreb Croatia.

The meeting was held on the 28th June 2009 at the University of Zagreb, Croatia.

There were a total of 15 participants including the Co-Chairs. Participants included: Lauren M. Rhodes/University of Washington, Michelle Liu Carriger/Brown University, Elise Morrison/Brown University, Adair Routhwaite/University of Minnesota,Kalle Westerling/ Stolkholm University, Karen Quidley/King’s College london, Edit Biro/ Roehempton University, Franziska Bork Petersen/Stolkhom University, Popek Paulina/University of A. Mickiewicz Poznan, Olive McKeon/NYU, Chloe Johnson/Northwestern, Sarah Espi-Sanchis/MAIPR, Ives Vodomovic/University of Zagreb

The Co-Chairs announced various initiatives and potential projects discussed at the PSi Committee’s annual AGM:

- Explaining the nature of Institutional Membership and Sponsorship options for Universities and departments. Encouraging graduate students to give feedback to their departments about the advantages of Institutional Memberships/Sponsorships, which include a waiver on students’ conference fees.
- A project looking into the possibility of virtual conferencing at future conferences
- PSi#16 conference “ Performing Publics” and the organizer’s initiatives to include graduate students integrally in all aspects of the conference.
- Routledge Prize
- PSi#17 at the University of Utrecht, Netherlands
- Beginning initiative of the PSi Committee for a “greener” organization.
- A special issue of the journal “Performance Research” for the PSi conference.
- The Regional Research Clusters Project headed by Peter Ekelsell.

Issues/Potential Projects brought up by participants include:

- The possibility of setting up a closer working/networking relationship between PSi and the Performance Studies Working Group (PSFG at ATHE)
- The need to encourage ethnic diversity at PSi.
- To identify more funding sources for Graduate Students outside their host institutions/universities.
- The possibility of looking into one-day conference rates to encourage participation from graduate students/members who are situated near the conference venue for the year.
- Vegetarian options for meals/snacks around the conference venue.
- Funding option/organization of a Graduate Student Gathering with food and drinks.
- Networking with “local” graduate students through a reciprocal flat-sharing/couch sharing/tour guide listing. (on wiki?)
- Linking the Graduate Student’s Wiki/facebook page with the pages of other organizations. Including ATHE, ASTR, TAPRA, IFTR and other related organizations.
- A link to CFP pages on the Wiki site.
- A link to alternative funding resources on the Wiki site.
- To propose the possibility of Professionalization Panels/Workshops during lunch hour sessions. This could be a joint project with the Emerging Scholars Committee.

To Do/Follow up:

- Co-Chairs to gather information and to update the Wiki site. Including: Information of the Research Clusters Project, the Virtual conferencing project, as well as research interests of new graduate student members.
- Co-Chairs to follow up on members who have volunteered for various graduate student initiatives. Elise Morrison who has offered to be a liaison between PSFG at ATHE. Morrison has also offered to moderate/organize any future possibilities of professionalization workshops. Michelle Liu Carriger who has offered to organize a future Graduate Student’s Cabaret. Edit Biro who has offered to do research on funding information for EU students.
- Co-chairs to look at setting up a facebook group and to link it up to other existing graduate students facebook groups.
- Getting in touch with PSi#16 conference organizers Lisa Wolford and Laura Levin to discuss opportunities for graduate students. Also to research on graduate student housing options.
- Conversing with the Emerging scholars committee on related projects. Eg. Issues of professionalization.
- Outreach to North American Universities (Canada/U.S) where graduate students are more likely to attend PSi#16, and to encourage the lobbying for institutional memberships/sponsorships to the advantage of both the Universities and the students.


2008 meeting of the Graduate Students Committee

MEMORANDUM FOR RECORD

TO: PSi President and Board Members
FROM: PSi Graduate Students Committee. Co-Chairs: Laura Cull, Melissa Wansin Wong
DATE: 27 August 2008
SUBJECT: Potential Proposals, feedback and ideas generated from the Graduate Students Committee Meeting on the 22nd and 23rd of August 2008 during PSi#14, at the University of Copenhagen.

The meetings were held on the 22nd and 23rd of August 2008 at the University of Copenhagen. There were a total of 23 participants for both days. Representation included graduate students from the United Kingdom, the United States, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa.

Conference Planning

-To find ways to have a closer affiliation with the Emerging Scholars Committee, as many graduate students would eventually cross over to that committee upon graduation.

-To prevent “ghettoization” of graduate students by better panel planning. To group both established scholars, emerging scholars and graduate students in same panels.

-To continue finding affordable housing for Graduate Students. To ask the Board to put it in policy for all Conference Organizers to make affordable housing available to graduate students a mandate. To establish a ‘room-mate’ pairing system for students.

-Request for translators at conferences for presenters presenting in a language other then English.

-The possibility of online conferencing for participants who cannot make it to the conference site was suggested.

-There was a discussion for PSi to be more ‘immediate’. Graduate students suggested that they would like the possibility of organizing a round-table, where scholars would debate/discuss an issue pertaining to a current political/social/cultural event happening during the ‘time’ of the conference, through the lens of performance studies.

-To set up a ‘speed-dating’ event, aside from the time of the Graduate Students Committee meeting where graduate students can interact.

Contact Lists/Web Presence

-A smaller mailing list apart from the main mailing list of PSi was suggested to be set up for graduate students. This will enable graduate students unable to attend PSi conferences for any particular year to be in touch with the organization’s activities. Especially activities pertaining to graduate students.

-A Wiki website is currently being set up by Laura Cull where graduate students could sign up and keep up with the developments of the committee.

-Discussions on setting up a facebook group on facebook is being debated.

-Most students agree that a web presence is crucial. While the wiki page is a start, the committee asks if it would be possible to have a webpage/site that is linked to the main PSi website. This will serve as the first point of contact for all graduate students internationally. It would also serve as a recruitment drive amongst graduate students for PSi.It is agreed that we would have to find someone technically competent, and who would want to ‘own’ the web project.

-A directory of graduate students’ research interests was proposed. This will help link graduate students from different affiliations together for further discussions. The directory could be linked to the wiki page or the potential webpage.

Funding Opportunities for Graduate Students/Increasing the International Presence of Graduate Students at PSi.

- Looking for partnering organizations/non-profits or NGOs to work with PSi on providing travel funds for students, and students in less developed coutries.

- Looking into the possibility of the Board or Organizers to providing travel awards for graduate students.

NB. If you would like to suggest amendments to this memo, please contact the Chairs.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License